Students who matriculated (started at SU) Fall 2021 or after, please refer to Newhouse School intra-university transfer application rules.
Admission is based upon cumulative GPA, rigor of academic coursework taken at Syracuse University, engagement on and off campus, a writing sample and performance in two required classes.
REQUIRED COURSES AND CREDITS
To transfer into the Newhouse School from another school or college of the University, the student must:
• complete a minimum of 30 graded (not P/F) credits at SU
• earn a B or better in COM 107 (open to all students in the spring semester)
• earn a B or better in an approved writing course (WRT 105, WRT 109, ENL 211, ENL 213 (or an equivalent transfer course). (AP and IB credits with acceptable scores may also fulfill this requirement).
OTHER REQUIREMENTS AND INFORMATION
In addition to completing the two required courses with a “B” grade or higher, to apply for intra-university transfer, students must submit the following:
• a writing assignment of no more than 500 words. Topic: “Describe how your past experiences and/or identity will contribute to Newhouse”
• your résumé
• the name of one Syracuse University faculty or professional staff reference
Interested students must attend a Newhouse IUT information session, which are held throughout each semester.
Spring 2022 IUT Sessions
Wednesday, Feb. 16, 11 a.m. (141 Newhouse 3)
Tuesday, Feb. 22, 4 p.m. (432 Newhouse 3)
Friday, March 4, 4 p.m. (141 Newhouse 3)
Tuesday, March 8, 5 p.m. (141 Newhouse 3)
Thursday, March 10, 11 a.m. (432 Newhouse 3)
Monday, March 21, 4 p.m. (432 Newhouse 3)
Wednesday, March 23, 3 p.m. (432 Newhouse 3)
Friday, March 25, 3 p.m. (141 Newhouse 3)
Monday, March 28, 4 p.m. (432 Newhouse 3)
Thursday, March 31, 11 a.m. (432 Newhouse 3)
Juniors (60+ credits completed) and seniors are ineligible to transfer.
Students wishing to major in photography or graphic design must have five semesters on Main Campus to complete these majors.
Students may apply for internal transfer into all majors. However, acceptance does not guarantee access to limited enrollment programs (i.e. Bandier).
Applications will be accepted the first day of this semester until 11pm April 1, 2022 for Fall consideration.
DO NOT APPLY until all the required 3 documents are completed and merged into one, in this order:
Save the following three documents into one PDF file:
1. IUT Application (Obtain from eForms)
3. Writing assignment
Save the filename with the following naming convention:
Last Name, First Name IUT APP
Example: Smith, Olivia IUT APP.pdf
Apply for Intra-University transfer>>
Fall semester entry: April 1
Spring semester entry: November 1