Public Communications Studies Minor
The public communications studies minor is geared toward students interested in the general study and analysis of communications and society. As with all minors at Syracuse University, students must complete 18 credits (six classes) of which 12 credits (four classes) must be 300-level or above.
Applying to the public communications studies minor
- be a matriculated Syracuse University student in any college or school other than the Newhouse School
- have a minimum of four semesters (spring or fall) remaining on main campus at Syracuse University to complete the minor requirements. (Due to course sequencing and enrollment limitations)
Nov. 1 for spring admission or May 1 for fall admission
Criteria for acceptance
- have completed 30 graded (A-F) credit hours at Syracuse University.* First opportunity to apply is during the 2nd full semester at Syracuse University
- meet the required cumulative GPA for the semester in which the student has applied. The GPA cutoff will vary each semester, depending on space available. Past cumulative GPA cutoffs have ranged from 3.3-3.6.
*SU Project Advance credits will count toward this total; AP or other transfer credit will not.
Admitted students will be notified by email in early July for fall admission and the second week of January for spring admission, also via email.
Formally declaring the minor
- Students must declare the minor no later than the first semester of their junior year.
- After acceptance, students will meet with the minor coordinator, Brad Stalter and fill out a declaration form, indicating specific courses to complete the minor.
- Final approval of the minor plan is needed from the student’s home college.
- The home college will process the minor declaration form so the requirements appear on the student’s academic record.