A male Newhouse student looks at his laptop with his feet up in an orange chair in Newhouse 3.

Sophomore year is a year of decisions. Both your Newhouse major and a minor must be declared by the end of the year (note: dual majors do not need a minor) and it’s time to begin planning for semesters abroad or at the New York City or Los Angeles campuses.

Dual majors with the Whitman School of Management must be declared by the beginning of sophomore year. The College of Arts and Sciences and School of Information Studies dual majors can be declared later in your career. Please see your academic adviser in Undergraduate Advising and Records for deadlines and details on applying for dual majors. Overall requirements may change when you declare a dual major. Note: You may not double major (have two majors) in Newhouse.

Sophomore To-Do List

  • Attend a “Navigating Your Newhouse Degree” advising seminar. Presented by the Newhouse Undergraduate Advising and Records Office, this informative session will discuss specific Newhouse requirements, picking a minor and planning for study abroad or domestically. View the Spring 2017 seminar schedule.
  • Explore minors and know minor requirements. Minors in the professional schools require an application and often have specific criteria, such as a minimum GPA or application deadline. Information about minors and minor requirements is available in the online course catalog
  • Declare your Newhouse major. Declaration of major forms are in the Undergraduate Advising and Records Office (316 Newhouse 3). If you picked a major when you applied, you may already be declared. Check on MySlice under “My Academics.”
  • Find a faculty adviser who is in your major department and fill out a Change of Faculty Adviser form in Undergraduate Advising and Records. Faculty with expertise in your area(s) of interest are good choices, as are professors with whom you have a good rapport. Browse Newhouse faculty.
  • If you have plans to go abroad or to New York or LA, sign up for an in-person degree check with your academic adviser in Undergraduate Advising and Records.
  • Ask questions and know your degree requirements. 



The summer after sophomore year is traditionally the time for your first internship experience. Internships come in all shapes and sizes—paid, unpaid, for credit or not, full-time or part-time.

Summer internships registered for credit have associated tuition costs; for reference, the summer 2017 rate is $1,201/credit. Please check with the Career Development Center for current information.

Most Newhouse majors allow up to three credits of internship experience to count toward the degree, but broadcast and digital journalism does not allow internship credit. Please check with your academic adviser to see how internship credit would factor into your degree.

Note: If you know your graduation month and year, go to MySlice and file a diploma request, found under "My Academics."

back to top